I was at the Clementi market on Saturday and was standing around waiting for my dad to complete his round at the market.
Then I noticed this old man in the straw hat that was sweating, squinting his eyes as he cooked fried carrot cake (or as Penangites would call it "kueh kak")
There is usually a long queue standing and waiting to buy the old man's kueh kak, and that day was no different. The only thing was that the people standing and queing was not captured in the photo.
Then I thought to myself, this is dedication. THis guy is ENGAGED to his job. I guess because his livelihood depended on it, and it shows because he's like 60's or 70'd.
THis would be the age when most people would be relaxing at home, but he is still doing what he does best.
There was a recent article that I browsed through (the title only) that stated about 80% of employees are not actively engaged in their jobs.
Count me in as one.
Why does this happen? Why am I disengaged?
For me, I guess I am disillusioned by the following:
1)Unseen rules or OB markers that stop me from doing a good job
2) Hiring the wrong people into the wrong positions
3) Constantly shifting goal posts, so the workers are at the loosing end regardless
4) No upside. I work my ass off, I get paid X, I work enough the cover my ass, I still get paid X. THere is no upside.
5) The big boss speaks in another language to which only a few people understand what he wants done (I unfortunately do not understand his language)
6) Inept people are put above me, so the Peter Principle is at work. Therefore, with above positions filled, I have little leeway to climb the corporate ladder. Also see point 2.
7) THe big boss constantly says he wants to hire external people in the run mega projects. Like he's hired idiots and dolts into the current company. Yeah right, that would improve staff morale.
Then I see this old man. He's completely dedicated to his job. Why?
1) People queue up to buy his food. That's personal gratification for you.
2) He cooks, he makes money. He doesn't cook, no money. He can experience all the possible upside.
3) He knows he's possibly the best of people doing this, at least around our area. And the next guy who opens up a stall selling kueh kak better be as good or better. So no Peter Principle at work here.
4) No shifting goal posts when setting goals. HIs goal: Make money
5) He's his own boss. No one else calls the shots (perhaps his son, who's standing behind the boss)
So while the old man looks like he's forced to cook to sustain his family and lifestyle, there may be a Lexus and Merc sitting parked in the parking lot behind that belongs to this old man.
But that aside.
I envy him because he's dedicated to his job, and I sit in the office hoping to get/find the next job that would hopefully make me this old man's equivalent in terms of dedication.
Sigh. How disenchanting life is now.
OUT.
