Friday, July 11, 2008

THe blues

I wrote about the advice my mom had given to me.

I have a fundamental problem with the advice because she has no clue what I am doing. All she can see is that I am sitting at home hammering away on the computer. She is a life long employee of the government, and unfortunately for me, I have decided to be a bit more alternative in my view of employement.

Unfortunately, the projects I am currently undertaking, there is no sure bet of success, but it all requires effort just the same. The attitude I take is if there is no effort, then there's guaranteed 100% failure. Whereas, if there's effort put in, then at least you're on your way there. Further I believe that even if the outcome is negative, there will be learning lessons from each project, just that it won't put food on the table.

So I am a bit depressed because there is a lack of understanding or support from my parents on what I am doing. They view me as being unemployed, and not working as freelance consultant. I don't know how to change their minds, and neither do I want to spend the energy to do it at this stage.

But because I am depressed, I am not working as optimum as I should, which is double whammy as I should be putting in 110% effort.

I don;t know, I just want to get away from the house so that a) I will not be so affected by the kids and their noise and b) it will provide some notion that I am at least working (in the eyes of my folks).

Old school and new school don't mix. THat's all I have to say. And I'm bummed!